Any process to be carried out requires certain rules to be followed, and these rules are termed as principles. Similar is the case in graphic designing. When principles are applied to artwork, it enhances the effectiveness of the outcome. The fine design piece may convey the exact meaning of what it implies. The designer must have the knowledge of how it is applied to his work.
Following are the principles of Graphic Designing:
- Balance in the Appearance: The appearance of the design should be such that it balances the look. One side of the design should not look heavier than the other side. The elements on the design page should be placed in such a manner that it maintains the equity of the elements on the layout. Every aspect should be in proportion be it the colours used or the textual content.
- Alignment: Placing of elements in a way such that it appears in a format or in an order rather than a random arrangement is termed as an alignment of the objects. Alignment enables to create a distinctive look of the elements placed in the layout. It enhances the readability of the content and brings an organized look.
- Proximity: Proximity defines the closeness of the elements placed in the design. Closeness determines the closeness of the relationship of the elements in the layout. If the elements are not related then the unity of the design may break.
- Repetition: There should not be the repetition in the design layout. As the continuous occurrence of the particular content or visual effect may create a monotonous effect on the observers’ mind which is not good as a part of designers creation.
- Contrast: Creating a difference between the colour, shape, size etc is termed as contrast. Having a contrast in a balance amount can be an attractive asset for the designer as its visual appearance may change and look apt for the customers need. It may provide surprise package to the customer as it gives a new look to the design.
- White space: White space are often termed as negative spaces which are lead vacant by the designer though they demand the occupancy as a positive space that is the space occupied for some used like by textual content or images etc. White space can affect the various graphic designing principles like the balance of the design may be disturbed which may lead to no harmony in the appearance of the design.
- Harmony: The placement of elements should be such that they show the relative flow with one another thereby depicting the meaning of what they imply. Harmony is a commonly used term for music, as the music flow is soothing and interlinked similarly it should be for the design layout.
- Emphasis: The design may have essential elements which the designer may want to have more emphasis and stand out from rest of the part of a layout. So, to draw the attention of the client or the customer the designer may provide that element with a distinctive look through the various elements of graphic designing like shape, size texture and much more.
Graphic designing is a fine art of communicating through a visual effect, so the provided principles enable the art to communicate effectively.