Top 5 Batsmen with the Most Sixes in International Cricket
In the limited over format in today’s cricket, batsmen are more focused on hitting four and sixes. In earlier days, the rotation of strike was important. It was a fundamental technique and skill that was made to learn by every aspiring cricketer. But with the change in time and format, hitting boundaries matter.
With the help of boundaries, you can change the turn of the game at any time. There are times when you have lost hope in your team, but hitting more boundaries can make the game in your favor.
With the improvement of quality in the bats, batsmen have become more aggressive and charge the bowlers. These batsmen believe in sending the ball off the fence regardless of the bowler.
The importance of fours and sixes are pretty vital in the International form of cricket. In the recent world cup played by England and New Zealand in the year 2019, England won the world cup with the most number of boundaries. However, these rule came into existence when both the teams faced a tie in a super over. The article contains information about the top 5 batsmen globally with the most sixes in international cricket.
Top batsmen with the most number of sixes in international cricket: –
Numerous devastating batsmen in International cricket holds the record for the maximum sixes in International cricket. The top 5 are listed below:
- Christopher Henry Gale holds the record for the maximum number of sixes in international cricket. The batsman is known for hitting 534 sixes combined in all game formats (Test, ODI, T20). Gayle is one of the top-order batsmen in the West Indies team. Sitting on the top of the table, the player is popularly known as the self-proclaimed “Universe Boss.” In his career of 20 years, Gayle has played a total of 462 matches. The player has gathered a total of 25,128 runs in International cricket, which includes 2,312 fours. Gayle is a perfect player for the limited-overs format.
- Coming down to the second in order is the famous batsmen from Pakistan, Shahid Afridi. Afridi has smashed a total of 476 sixes in all formats of the game. The batsman is believed to have thrashed every top order bowling line once in his career. The individual had been a part of the game for 22years of his life. He is the only batsman in Pakistan to have played in every position in the team. When in form, Afridi has put immense pressure on the opposition. The individual has accumulated a total of 11,196 runs, which includes a total of 1,053 fours.
- Rohit Sharma, the 33-year old has a record of hitting 423 sixes and holds the third position in the list. Sharma has also been titled the “Hitman” by his followers from all over the world. He has played a total of 364 International matches as of the current date. The batsman is a complete carnage once he gets into the flow. He is the only batsman in the world to have enlisted 3-double centuries in the limited-overs format. With his current form and devastating skills, the batsman is expected to break many more records in the coming years. The Indian opener has registered a total of 14,029 International runs, which includes 1,278 fours in it.
- The master of limited over format, Brendon McCullum, holds number 4 in the list. The Kiwi superman has hit 359 sixes in his entire career. He is a complete destroyer and can change the tune of the game according to his own. The guy is an absolute match-winner and has single-handedly won multiple games for the Kiwi. Most of the bowlers have rated him as one of the furious batsmen of all time. The guy can hit the most unusual and extraordinary shots in International cricket. McCullum has thrashed his opponents in almost every game and has batted at different positions to help his team in times of need. McCullum has represented himself in over 432 International matches where he managed to score 14,676 runs. The right-handed batsman played only for a span of 14-years in International cricket.
- With the ability to hitting sixes and introducing the most famous “Helicopter Shot,” Mahendra Singh Dhoni comes down at number 5 on the list. The player has managed to hit a total of 359 sixes in his International career. He is still recognized as one of the finest batsmen on the Indian Cricket Team. The player is full of power and abilities and is one of the best finishers in International cricket. In his career of 15 years, Dhoni has accumulated a total of 17,266 runs in 538 International matches, including 1,486 boundaries.
Considering all formats of the game, hitting sixes plays an essential part. There are many more players on the list, considering the most number of sixes in international cricket.