Inspection of an Apartment Before Buying
Acceptable purchase options have been selected, and now the moment comes when you need to conduct an inspection. The goal is to collect information.
The key points are being attentive, communicative, and following a plan. Use our guidelines as a plan. If you wish to purchase pre-checked and investigated properties, please go to Apartments for sale Wollongong.
What to take with you to inspect the apartment?
Checklist, paper and pen.
Phone with flashlight and camera.
A small electrical device for testing outlets.
inspection of the apartment upon purchase
What to look for when inspecting an apartment?
It is necessary to collect information in several directions at once – if some of them do not immediately seem obvious, then subsequently unaccounted points can poison life in a new place. So, the mandatory questions when examining an apartment in the secondary market for assessment:
- adjoining territory;
When assessing the area, transport accessibility and the availability of infrastructure are important – shops, kindergartens and schools, a clinic, entertainment and sports centers. The adjacent territory assumes a parking lot, a playground, and the absence of noisy highways. However, personal preferences are possible and it is important to pay attention to these points.
Inspection of the Apartment upon Purchase
Before meeting with the home seller, you need to inspect the house from all sides and check the entrance. As a result, make notes on the following points:
- The presence in the walls of the house of noticeable cracks or traces of their repair. How close they are to the apartment of interest.
- The presence of catering points, baths, entertainment facilities in the house. Many types of such objects work in violation of all norms and cause serious inconvenience to residents – humidity in apartments, smells, noise, insects, rats.
- The condition of the elevator and its serviceability.
- Appearance, humidity and smell at the entrance. High humidity usually indicates worn out communications in the basement of the house. This entails fungus in apartments, accelerated destruction of building structures and interruptions in utilities.
- The presence, location and serviceability of the garbage chute. The ideal accommodation option is between sites, as far as possible from the apartments.
Inspection Of The Apartment Upon Purchase
Inspection of the apartment before buying and what to ask when inspecting the apartment
Check the actual layout with the data sheet
The layout and area of the apartment can also be viewed in the extract from the USRN, which the owner received when buying the property. An apartment with illegal redevelopment may not be accepted by a bank when registering a mortgage.
Pay attention to the period of ownership of the apartment – a period of less than 3 years will require additional collection of information. In order not to run into scammers, in this case, it is better to request an additional USRN statement about the history of the change of owners of this apartment.
Make sure there are no tenants in the apartment
If there is, inquire about their residence rights in order to exclude difficulties with eviction after purchase. If, for example, a tenant has the right to live in an apartment for life on the basis of refusal to participate in the privatization of this apartment, then he cannot be forcibly evicted.
Ask the owner about adult children. If one of them serves in the army or is serving a sentence, then they can move into the apartment after the sale on the basis of the right of residence.
An apartment on the top floor
Gain access to the technical floor and the roof, even if you have to contact the housing office or the head of the house together with the owner. Check for the leaks from water, puddles, barrels or basins – information about the poor condition of the roof.