What Are The Benefits Of A Healthy Diet After Angioplasty?
Angioplasty is the surgery done to open blood vessels that supply blood to the heart muscles. These blood vessels carrying blood to the heart is also known as a coronary artery. Doctors generally perform this surgery just after a heart attack.
Doctors insert a tube-like structure in the blood vessels during the surgery to maintain the regular blood flow, and the vessels don’t get blocked. This tube-like structure is called a stent, and this procedure is called percutaneous coronary intervention.
Getting the angioplasty done as soon as possible after the heart attack can reduce the chances of heart failure or even some other complications like death. Any person going through angioplasty without a heart attack can get relieved of any future heart diseases.
Benefits of angioplasty
There are several benefits of angioplasty. Some of them are
- It can reduce the narrowness of the artery, and thus, a better blood flow is maintained.
- There are no major complications of this surgery.
- The patient can start their regular work in a very short period of their surgery.
- This surgery is done under local anesthesia, so it has less risk as compared to general anesthesia.
Risks of angioplasty
With many benefits of angioplasty, there are even some risks that should be kept in mind
- The site of insertion may get infections or start bleeding after the surgery.
- There are some chances that the arteries can get blocked again due to some problems.
- The insertion of the stent may damage the artery.
- A hole can be formed in the artery due to surgery.
But the chances of these risks are very when good doctors do the surgery.
Diets after angioplasty
Angioplasty can help in opening the blockage in the arteries and thus maintaining the blood flow. Still, these arteries can get blocked again by hardening the blood vessels as they can’t cure, so you will have to take care of your diet after angioplasty to reduce any future complications. You should start taking care by asking your doctors about the diet or calories you should take daily. It would be best to keep your focus on taking the advised amount of calories from six food categories.
- You should eat fruits and vegetables daily as they have a good amount of minerals and vitamins that can help you get vitamins with controlled calories as they have fewer calories in them.
- You should include whole grains in your daily diet to reduce the amount of calories intake and removes any cholesterol intake from your blood vessels. Whole grains have fibers in them that are beneficial for your body.
- You should include fish and poultry products in diet after angioplasty as the fish and poultry products are rich in protein and have good fats in it and good fat means it has omega-3 fatty acids in it.
- Adding legumes like beans, peas, or lentils to your diet can be beneficial as these foods are also rich in protein and have low fats. It even contains fiber to feel your stomach full with such a less quantity of fat intake in your body.
- Not all oils are good for health, but some of them, like olive oil or canola oil, are beneficial as they contain fewer fats than coconut or palm oils. These oils are extracted from plants but are rich in fat due to the presence of saturated fats.
Nuts are also considered as very beneficial for health as it also contains omega-3 fatty acids. But it is not advised to eat more than a handful of it once a day as it contains, many calories which can increase the risk of heart problems.